Thursday, December 13, 2007

Holiday Market Weekend #4: My Off Site Market Moment

At the end of a busy Holiday Market weekend, the inside of my brain looks something like this:
Holiday Market 12 09 15.jpg (Thanks to Steven DeLang's display for the perfect illustration)

as I've gone from this:
Holiday Market 12 09 18.jpg adorable Bhangra dancers first thing in the morning,

to this:
Holiday Market 12 09 11.jpg at least seventy glorious women's voices in Soromundi late in the afternoon,

wearing this:
Holiday Market 12 09 04.jpg deliciously uptight 40s frock and deliriously silly Italian straw hat from the 50s complete with a single cherry, apple and pineapple on the hat band. Again my motto, "If it's not funny, it's not fashion," has been liberally applied. And this is all on day two of the weekend, so lots of varieties of excitement have filled my ten hour work days. It all gets to be a spinny blur and the good old Market Moments sometimes get lost in the sensory overload of it all.

Fast forward to Tuesday afternoon in the good old pickup truck, heading down the road to pick up a Christmas tree, with KLCC's Northwest Passage on the radio. Tripp Sommer announces an upcoming piece about Fridays at the Farm, one of our Market members. Wow, how cool! But there's the tree stand, so I peruse the offerings in a leisurely fashion (having by now forgotten all about the radio), buy the tree, and get back in the truck. We have ignition, and fortuitously we also have the Fridays at the Farm piece starting up. (Click here and you can hear it too) I'm only a couple blocks from home, so I listen as I drive, and then sit in the driveway as Rachel McDonald wraps up her sweet piece on Jessica and Melanie and their soap business. By the time it's over, I'm all dissolved. Customers have described how they've been coming back to buy soap from them for years, and how much they appreciate their products. Melanie and Jessica have talked about how much they love the weekly connection with their customers, and how great it is to sell things you make yourself, and how great the whole process is. Just when I need it, lost in the trees and unable to grok the whole forest experience, I am reminded that the stuff I try to convey about Market and how cool it is, and it's handcrafted and it's local and it's got soul is actually not just hype, I haven't fancied it all up into a glitzy advertising fantasy world. It's the real true life experience of other people too, they see it and value it the same way I do. I do know that, really, but it's easy to forget. No matter how much you believe in something, it's always good to have your faith refurbished...

No comments: